PDA

View Full Version : Update

gunbunny13
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I haven't had a chance to check in lately.
The new job has had me busy.
The boy has been at Ft. Jackson for a few weeks now also. He should be in week 3 of basic. I spoke to him yesterday (sunday) for a few minutes. For the first time that I have ever known him, he actually spoke up and talked. He didn't mumble, he was crisp, and answered questions instead of ignoring me.
I know that this happens all the time, lord knows I saw it enough, but the boy came to me when he was 8 and I've never been able to reach the kid.
He told me he was doing well, but was questioning his decision to join after the first week. He has since come around and will be alright. I also took from the conversation, that his picky eating habits are going away.
I guess I'm going to one of the few Army posts that I have never been to this May. In all my years, never had a reason to go to Ft. Jackson. Been to about every other out of the way place the Army owns, but not Jackson.
Any way, I'll get back later. I have a mail route that I walk about 12 miles everyday and it's whipping my tail.

Armymom09
03-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Good that you've heard from him, and positive changes are under way.

I had a straight shot south 77 to Jackson. From Cincy I imagine you'll have to head to Atlanta and hang a left. :) The time starts off slow but it comes up quick. Ft Jackson puts on a heck of a show for graduations.

Where does he head next?
How's momma doing?

CWO Sharkey
03-30-2010, 01:57 AM
The boy is now becoming a man!! Also, when do you stop delivering mail on Saturdays? lol

gunbunny13
03-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Where does he head next?
How's momma doing?
He is to have AIT at Jackson. His contract stated OSUT but that doesn't seem to be the case. The boy said that there were only a couple of people where he was that had the same MOS. Momma is much better since the last phone call. She is driving me crazy with the "Army Mom" stuff though. When she was an Army Wife, it was old hat. No big deal. But now she's gung ho! Go figure.:rolleyes:

when do you stop delivering mail on Saturdays? lol
The Post Master General came out and said he wanted it in place by next spring or early summer 2011. I hope it doesn't come to that. Apparently, it has to go to congress. Would you want to be the Congressman that voted to eliminate over 80,000 jobs? I'm being told there isn't a lot of support of the plan with congress or the president, so....... hopefully it won't fly.
I have been here long enough that I am starting to see some patterns. Most pills go out in the mail on Fridays and delivered on Saturdays.

MSG Glenn
03-30-2010, 05:15 AM
lol, I wouldn't want to be a Congressman for anything I voted on. I sort of think, & the polls prove me right that their approval rating is even lower than what's customary. I think they could vote for anything they wanted to, popular or unpopular, & still not make a difference.

Glad your "boy" is doing fine. I don't think MOS 42A ever had an OSUT. Must have been a misprint. It seems that OSUT is a Combat Arms type of thing. That might be a way he can get out if he wants to. Breach of contract. :D It's possible that "OSUT" was mistaken for same station BCT & AIT.

Are your feet & legs doing well? That's gotta be a lot of walking. When the Saturday cessation of mail delivery comes would that mean a layoff for you? Even at that time a part-timer with little seniority wouldn't fare very well I imagine.

CWO Sharkey
03-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Glad your "boy" is doing fine. I don't think MOS 42A ever had an OSUT. Must have been a misprint. It seems that OSUT is a Comabt Arms type of thing. That might be a way he can get out if he wants to. Breach of contract. :D It's possible that "OSUT" was mistaken for same station BCT & AIT.

Hey the Army is getting tougher now. They need OSUT for admin types lol. I can see it now; "you phreaking pukes!! put your fingers on the QWERTY keyboard like this before I break your *(Y#_$#$ fingers!"

lol

MSG Glenn
03-30-2010, 08:17 AM
And don't forget the 12 march w/typewriter or word processor whichever you're issued! :D

CWO Sharkey
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
exactly. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan. The soldier getting shot with the typewriter in his hand and the admin translator who caused that grunt to die in hand to hand.

proudarmymomtexas
03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I haven't had a chance to check in lately.
The new job has had me busy.
The boy has been at Ft. Jackson for a few weeks now also. He should be in week 3 of basic. I spoke to him yesterday (sunday) for a few minutes. For the first time that I have ever known him, he actually spoke up and talked. He didn't mumble, he was crisp, and answered questions instead of ignoring me.
I know that this happens all the time, lord knows I saw it enough, but the boy came to me when he was 8 and I've never been able to reach the kid.
He told me he was doing well, but was questioning his decision to join after the first week. He has since come around and will be alright. I also took from the conversation, that his picky eating habits are going away.
I guess I'm going to one of the few Army posts that I have never been to this May. In all my years, never had a reason to go to Ft. Jackson. Been to about every other out of the way place the Army owns, but not Jackson.
Any way, I'll get back later. I have a mail route that I walk about 12 miles everyday and it's whipping my tail.

Gunbunny,

Congratulations...anxious to hear back from your trip as my older son will be
shipping there about that time. :)

Armymom09
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
He is to have AIT at Jackson. His contract stated OSUT but that doesn't seem to be the case. The boy said that there were only a couple of people where he was that had the same MOS. Momma is much better since the last phone call. She is driving me crazy with the "Army Mom" stuff though. When she was an Army Wife, it was old hat. No big deal. But now she's gung ho! Go figure.:rolleyes:

:D hahaha
Mothers of America unite!

You better take some extra money to graduation, they have all kinds of stuff to buy. She'll be a kid in a candy store. They have some nice 'proud Army mom' jewelry, maybe drop a hint to the boy. (mine both got me something on their graduation days and it pleased mommy)

Everything will be swamped with so many families there. Go to a grocery store the night before and pack a lunch. (bring a blanket and cooler if you're driving) There's a nice lake with picnic tables. We spent most of the time there on family day. Just watch out for the red ants.

There's one gate you can get in and out of quickly. Don't go near the main gate, you'll be sitting an hour or more. Which one is it Night? 4??

I'll try to remember some other tips from Jackson. Night has a lot too. (It'll be after the next 2 weeks, super busy right now)

proudarmymomtexas
03-31-2010, 06:28 AM
:D hahaha
Mothers of America unite!

You better take some extra money to graduation, they have all kinds of stuff to buy. She'll be a kid in a candy store. They have some nice 'proud Army mom' jewelry, maybe drop a hint to the boy. (mine both got me something on their graduation days and it pleased mommy)

Everything will be swamped with so many families there. Go to a grocery store the night before and pack a lunch. (bring a blanket and cooler if you're driving) There's a nice lake with picnic tables. We spent most of the time there on family day. Just watch out for the red ants.

There's one gate you can get in and out of quickly. Don't go near the main gate, you'll be sitting an hour or more. Which one is it Night? 4??

I'll try to remember some other tips from Jackson. Night has a lot too. (It'll be after the next 2 weeks, super busy right now)

I feel a hotel recommendation coming on...........:D

So this is good info....by August, I'll have forgotten all of it...except the red ant part. We need a Jackson thread!

Armymom09
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Just remind me in July TX Mom. :)

I stayed at the Staybridge. It was beautiful and a fantastic room. It was also a bit higher price, and just a little further from post (15 minutes or so). I had a hard time finding one with good recommendations.