PDA

View Full Version : What do you think??

CWO Sharkey
08-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Rachel Maddow Show (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#38668288)

Click the above link...

I know we dont discuss DADT on this forum like other websites but what are your views on this?

I have my reasons not to repeal it but will follow guidelines if its lifted.

CWO Sharkey
08-12-2010, 07:33 AM
There are other news videos that follow that but here is one on a female cadet that is resigning.

Rachel Maddow Show (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#38668341)

Grunt Medic TXARNG
08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
The cadet should be held to the terms of her contract - if she was a contracted cadet on a scholarship then she must pay back the Army for the money it invested in her training. I have no issues with her sexuality - she could have served honorably if she had followed orders as she had sworn to do. The real irony is that if she had commissioned she probably would have been allowed to serve openly within a couple of years - which makes me think she took this as a convenient way out of her contract. That's how I see it, anyway.

CWO Sharkey
08-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Great minds think alike. Regardless that she was a PT stud; perhaps she realized the extra 8 years was not for her. She could be saying that she would return if DADT was lifted but that could be a smoke-screen.

My view is that its a policy that is enforced. If you feel your personal integrity is not worth the price of keeping yourself in the closet; then don't serve. Until the policy changes; then so be it. And it has nothing to do with President Obama making the services to place the policy on hold. If that was the case; Clinton could have did more than the present policy. Its a Congressional issue.

It is what it is.

MSG Glenn
08-13-2010, 03:17 AM
DADT is a good way for someone to get out of the Army if they decide they don't like it. It's happened before. If they want out all they have to say is "by the way, I'm gay" & out the door they go. I believe that in those cases there should be some alternate civilian duty that each service member should be compelled to perform until the end of their contract & like Doc has said, if they're in the Academy they should be made to pay back the time they've been educated. Either that or just never release any transcripts just as if the education never happened. Alternate duty could be working in a hospital as a "bed pan commando" or some other form of work where there is a minimal amount of training required & something that doesn't help the person's work history - menial tasks.

It's way too easy getting out of military service the way it is & adding DADT to the mix means a very expensive loss of a trained person.

What sort of discharge does a DADT drop-out receive? My guess is a General Under Honorable Conditions, unfit for military duty.

Fortunately I've never had to experience anything like that but as a leader I dreaded something like that happening.

CWO Sharkey
08-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Well, the first two years of the academy, a cadet can resign at anytime without repercussions (similar to ROTC). She said she made the decision before going into her third year.

Yea, she took up a slot that somebody would have loved to have but every program has wash-outs for whatever reason.

I personally know an officer that didnt finish West Point but later commissioned through ROTC and is a currently a Captain.

It happens.