PDA

View Full Version : My soldier is being deployed

proudarmygirlfriend
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't really know what I'm looking for by writing on this forum, but I guess I just feel like hearing what advise other people have to give on the situation...
My boyfriend is being deployed to Kuwait as a watercraft engineer. He works on the boats, so does that mean I won't be able to talk to him often? Will he be relatively safe? How should I be coping? What can I do to make this easier for him?
Also, being "just a girlfriend" (although we've been seriously dating for 3 years), I feel that there aren't any forums online that address us, just spouses! Anyone other girlfriends out there?!

Thanks for any responses!

Army Strong
08-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Don't cheat on him.

Sorry, I'm bitter today.

MPclk2006
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
He should have it a lot easier than those in Iraq and Afghanistan...I had a Soldier who was "deployed" to Kuwait, I was stationed in Korea and we both had almost the same stories, curfew, wear civilian clothes, etc...she has a combat patch, I dont...LOL...in some cases they were stricter in Korea than kuwait...

proudarmygirlfriend
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
That's good to hear. From what I know, it seems like if you're going to be deployed, the best place to be would be Kuwait. Someone told me that Kuwait is currently considered a war zone, but not a combat zone... true?

proudarmygirlfriend
08-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the support army strong...

We've been together 3 years, cheating has never been an issue.
No Jody here...

Grunt Medic TXARNG
08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Welcome, 'Proud'! I just returned from a deployment to Baghdad, and my girlfriend and I stayed strong through it. We (the Army) have been there (in Kuwait) for so long there's a lot of infrastructure built up - he should have lots of access to phones and to the Internet - communicating by the 'Net is by far your least expensive option. Good luck to you and him!

CWO Sharkey
08-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Kuwait is the skate and safe!! They havent been attacked since 2003/2004 I believe and they get combat pay!! He is going to enjoy the water since its very hot!! I been through Kuwait 5 times.

A#1Mom
09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Welcome proudarmygirlfriend! I'm the mother of an Army SPC. who will deploy again next month. This tour in Afghanistan/The last was Iraq. This site was/is very helpful to everyone! I was so happy to find this site during his first tour overseas. Remember that you are a very important part of your boyfriends' life! Stay strong, ask for advice & support, e-mail & write to him often, send care packages with the things you know he likes, even the small & simple things. And, believe in the strength of the relationship the two of you share. I'm sure he'll be fine, especially in Kuwait. A#1Mom

Nightflyer
09-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Kuwait is a good gig. lol. The soldier sounds like he's on to something. Proud you're Soldiers is in good hands. We all have wives and girlfriends. I've been home from sandsurfing for a year and change now. You're Soldier will be able to hit you up on the net..

Welcome to the family. Good Luck and hang the flag..

Night

Soldiersgirl
09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't really know what I'm looking for by writing on this forum, but I guess I just feel like hearing what advise other people have to give on the situation...
My boyfriend is being deployed to Kuwait as a watercraft engineer. He works on the boats, so does that mean I won't be able to talk to him often? Will he be relatively safe? How should I be coping? What can I do to make this easier for him?
Also, being "just a girlfriend" (although we've been seriously dating for 3 years), I feel that there aren't any forums online that address us, just spouses! Anyone other girlfriends out there?!

Thanks for any responses!

I felt the same way as you--not really feeling like there was a place for "just girlfriends" of soldiers. But don't worry--there are good men and women on here who make you feel like family no matter what! It doesn't matter here if you are "just a gf" or whatever; you are a part of the Army family.

Now, I'm no longer with my soldier, but he and I still talk, and I'm still member here b/c i support the troops. A year and a half ago, my guy was stationed in Korea. There are certain things that you have to figure out like how to talk despite the time difference. And modes of talking. My guy and I found that we could only really talk once or twice a week....once about mid-week when I didn't have class in the morning, so I would wake up early to talk to him before he would go to bed; and once on the weekend, when he would be awake sometime in the morning and it wasn't too late at night for me. And we used Skype IM most of the time...and saved the free video calls for the weekends or once a month (mostly b/c it got annoying with the signal dropping and webcams that aren't so great). I would also recommend Yahoo messenger. You can do the same thing (free IM, voice and/or video calls) but you also get an email account for when you can't talk in 'real time.'

Just PM if you want to talk or if you have any specific questions. Deployments and overseas stations can suck...but you learn to make the best of it and strengthen your relationship! :)

~Soldiersgirl