PDA

View Full Version : The Good Soldiers

Rakkasan Doc
11-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I didn't know it at the time, but apparently when I was deployed to Baghdad, Iraq there was a reporter embedded with our battalion. There were plenty of civilians running around FOB Rustamiyah so I never thought much about it. Come to find out, his purpose for being there was so that he could write a book about my unit.

And so a book entitled The Good Soldiers came into existence.

I found out about it and read it right before I deployed here to Afghanistan. Very depressing read, but I think it's pretty sweet that a part of my life has been documented in such a way. It writes of my time with 2-16 Infantry while we were deployed as part of "the surge." It mainly focuses on our Battalion Commander and the war from his view, but it chronicles events that I was a part of.

My current deployment here in Afghanistan has been relatively dull (thank God), but I have lots of memorable moments from my time in Baghdad. This book shares these memories I have in a much more eloquent way than I ever could write here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/books/review/Stanton-t.html

Nightflyer
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Doc- I hear what you're saying. I read a book called "They fought for each other" by kelly Kennedy's account of the second platoon of the 1-26th, unit that was stationed in Adhamiya, Iraq. My deployment was a good one compared to some of the stuff you and you're guys have seen. This is so weird, because just this morning we had a quite morning at the Armory and I bounce from Army Times to the NY Times and seen the blog section and though, I'll have to check it out. Sound like a good read, I'll check the book out. Thank you Doc-for sharring.

Stay safe, and have a good rotation and stay frosty..

Night

11x
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Wow Doc...that was one of the first military books I ever bought, and it opened my eyes to a lot of things. God bless you for what your unit had to go through

Man
03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi, sounds like a great story hiding inside that book.
Hopefully to read this book sometime.

Exo1
03-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Good shout Rasman... will keep my eyes open for it...

Stay frosty bro... its all about that 1%...

Exo..

expressmart
03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
its wpnderfull

scophone
03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Life in the camp Very diao

Grunt Medic TXARNG
03-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Mods - we need to ban these two, scophone and expressmart, if they don't start contributing more than one-phrase answers which are usually unrelated to the topic. I smell scammers...

MSG Glenn
03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
The smell is starting to permeate, isn't it, Doc?

PMs sent to them both. Next will come an infraction & then...?