PDA

View Full Version : Videos from OCS Field Leadership Exercise 2

papachop
08-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Just a few clips from our week out in the field for FLX 2.

An SOC laying down some scunion with the M249 SAW. Suppressing fire as the SAW gunner for Bravo Team (the Support by Fire Element for this deliberate attack)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225292677517198&oid=196069960445322&comments

An SOC putting more rounds downrange as a member of OpFor (Opposing Force)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225291530850646&oid=196069960445322&comments

An SOC issuing a WARNO (Warning Order, basically a "Heads up, mission on the way") to another SOC

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225466967499769&oid=196069960445322&comments

CWO Sharkey
08-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Nice videos. Still alot to learn. I know OPFOR not having their helmets on but what about the rest? lol. Ranger style :)

Also, stay kneeling and prone if you going to be static. But what do I know....;)

I cannot believe it is almost 6 years after I appeared in this video in Iraq

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/th_actioninhawijah3.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/?action=view&current=actioninhawijah3.mp4)

Honestly, I wish none of you see moments like these.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/signalwarrant/humveedestroyed.jpg

CWO Sharkey
08-14-2011, 07:08 AM
So you have an historian in your class that is taking the pics for your graduation video? Do the candidates have additional duties such as S2, S3 like we did in WOCS?

papachop
08-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah, keep in mind this is a leadership exercise, not tactics. :-) Some of us are better at the tactics end of it than others. As to the ACHs, that's a TRADOC thing. Especially since that IBOLC 2LT died a few months ago from a heat casualty they've been VERY cautious about it. Pretty much anytime we're training outside we have to be in Heat Cat 5 - unbloused pants, uncuffed sleeves, and either a PC or no cover.

We have a PAO, and several people have been helping him out. (Me with photography, videography, and the video production). We have platoon and company student S1s and S4s, and student leadership from the Top 3 on down. It's a VERY student-run course. The student CO, 1SG, and XO do an absolute ton of work, and those positions rotate weekly, as well as PL, PSG, and SLs.

CWO Sharkey
08-14-2011, 07:40 AM
It's a VERY student-run course. The student CO, 1SG, and XO do an absolute ton of work, and those positions rotate weekly, as well as PL, PSG, and SLs.

That is how every officer producing course is run. But yes, I do not see no combat patches on your classmates which was the opposite in WOCS. So mostly everyone in WOCS was bringing their own combat experience to the table lol. Believe me, it caused more friction behind closed doors than anything else.

Plus when we got gold-pinned as the senior WOCS class, we didnt call ourselves SWOC ;) The other classes have to salute you now, correct?

I thought they taught future 2LTs to write yes instead of yeah ;)

papachop
08-14-2011, 07:45 AM
If it were a formal conversation, it would definitely be a yes. :p

We have about 10 prior-service in our company, so a definite shortage of combat experience.

The other classes do have to salute us, yes. I suspect it's mostly so we get used to returning salutes, as opposed to just holding it for 5 minutes.

CWO Sharkey
08-14-2011, 07:48 AM
haha. good stuff SOC. Just a slight ribbing. Believe me, when you get to your first unit; you are going to experience it for a while. E-7s and up, will take a shot at you with a corny remark. Just roll with the punches and assimilate. Good times are coming ahead especially the day after you pin. Get your silver dollars ready for the graduation.

I wish you the best and look forward to calling you a fellow signaleer.

http://images.vector-images.com/217/signal_corps_insignia_n7141.gif

papachop
08-14-2011, 11:39 AM
haha. good stuff SOC. Just a slight ribbing. Believe me, when you get to your first unit; you are going to experience it for a while. E-7s and up, will take a shot at you with a corny remark. Just roll with the punches and assimilate. Good times are coming ahead especially the day after you pin. Get your silver dollars ready for the graduation.

Oh, I spent two months hanging out with a few SNCO Drill Sergeants - I'm used to the ribbing already.

I wish you the best and look forward to calling you a fellow signaleer.

http://images.vector-images.com/217/signal_corps_insignia_n7141.gif

Sounds good, Chief. Expect to start receiving PMs about Cisco and A+ within a few months. :D By the way, what MOS are you?

Army Strong
08-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Grrr... It's painful to see those 249s shooting so many blanks. I spent countless hours cleaning the never-ending carbon off of them in basic.

I still have nightmares about it.

CWO Sharkey
08-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Grrr... It's painful to see those 249s shooting so many blanks. I spent countless hours cleaning the never-ending carbon off of them in basic.

And shooting off the extra rounds so you wont have dunnage. Great stuff.

papachop
08-14-2011, 12:57 PM

We cranked through a LOT of ammo yesterday. Like Chief said, no dunnage. One SAW gunner put down 1,400 rounds...

StayFrosty
08-14-2011, 02:48 PM
If it were a formal conversation, it would definitely be a yes. :p

We have about 10 prior-service in our company, so a definite shortage of combat experience.
The other classes do have to salute us, yes. I suspect it's mostly so we get used to returning salutes, as opposed to just holding it for 5 minutes.

Holy s*(&. When I was there each class was about half prior service (some more, some less... depended which class you got). Is this a new trend at OCS, or did you wind up with an extremely one-sided class?

papachop
08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
It's strange how it works out, Sir. My class had a handful, some others had a handful, and then Echo Company (three weeks behind us) classed up with about 65 - almost all prior-service. I ran into quite a few OCs at the Main PX today waiting to report to HHC, and most were Prior Service.

Angriff
08-14-2011, 04:56 PM
As to the ACHs, that's a TRADOC thing. Especially since that IBOLC 2LT died a few months ago from a heat casualty they've been VERY cautious about it. Pretty much anytime we're training outside we have to be in Heat Cat 5 - unbloused pants, uncuffed sleeves, and either a PC or no cover.

That's weird. I was in 1/16 Cav at Knox up until a couple months ago (transferred to another unit on-post when they left for Benning due to the BRAC move) supporting the Lts while they were in Armor BOLC and it would be 100-110 or so and all of us were still wearing IBA's and all that crap for days at a time.

papachop
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
That's weird. I was in 1/16 Cav at Knox up until a couple months ago (transferred to another unit on-post when they left for Benning due to the BRAC move) supporting the Lts while they were in Armor BOLC and it would be 100-110 or so and all of us were still wearing IBA's and all that crap for days at a time.

Roger that - not saying it's TRADOC-wide, just that it's mandated for OCS. I know the IBOLC guys still go out in full battle rattle too. Not sure why we're so special. Or maybe it's a BDE or BN thing. <shrug> We were just told it's TRADOC.

ThirdGen
08-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you for posting these! I can't wait to get there.

papachop
08-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Back from the field. My God, what an exhausting three weeks. Got 4 "Gos" (one "Excellent" for a planning, one "Satisfactory" for a planning, and two "Satisfactory"s for execution) out of 4, and now I'm on to Recovery. Which means more of the Army recovering's it's stuff (tents, weapons, etc.) as opposed to us recovering. :)

Angriff
08-18-2011, 03:39 PM
and now I'm on to Recovery. Which means more of the Army recovering's it's stuff (tents, weapons, etc.) as opposed to us recovering. :)

What type of housing do you guys stay in? Here at Knox the Lt's going through to BOLC would stay on housing on-base and get bussed every morning, or during field operations stayed in this great big tin bay kind of thing. Or during their Gunnery they would occasionally just sleep in tents.

papachop
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
For FLX 1 and 2 we slept in A-frame tents that had been spray-foamed and mounted on concrete pads, with AC. It REALLY made things a lot more tolerable - the heat is pretty miserable down here right now. Even with them we were sucking - running lanes from 0800 to 1630 is a lot of work, when you're going for 80 minutes at a time, with 10 minute AARs. At OCS we're in pretty standard barracks.

M2G
08-19-2011, 06:09 AM
For FLX 1 and 2 we slept in A-frame tents that had been spray-foamed and mounted on concrete pads, with AC. It REALLY made things a lot more tolerable - the heat is pretty miserable down here right now. Even with them we were sucking - running lanes from 0800 to 1630 is a lot of work, when you're going for 80 minutes at a time, with 10 minute AARs. At OCS we're in pretty standard barracks.

WOW, must be nice. When I attended OCS (Guard accelerated) we slept on the ground with only the sky above us when we were in the field.

MSG Glenn
08-19-2011, 07:20 AM
That's because you're an ENGINEER, M2G Sir. Papachop is SIGNAL!

Just joking. Some might say that maybe the training is too soft these days but then again I'd rather have that than a load of heat casualties. A Soldier doesn't need to be trained to recognize he's uncomfortable or comfortable. He'll be given plenty of opportunities for discomfort & few for comfort.

Ah - to be able to go through everything I went through all over again. You'll notice I said "to be able to". Would I WANT to? No.

M2G
08-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I agree the balancing act should always be in the back of your mind. Since graduating I have TAC'd OCS twice at two different locations. Each time the training has been completely different, but there is always one constant. Create an enviroment where future leaders are required to function under stressful conditions. Some programs use physical stress while others prefer mental stress, either way an OC will be pushed. Now the question is what would be the better of the two programs. Personally I would use a combination of both in limited amounts.

papachop
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I agree the balancing act should always be in the back of your mind. Since graduating I have TAC'd OCS twice at two different locations. Each time the training has been completely different, but there is always one constant. Create an enviroment where future leaders are required to function under stressful conditions. Some programs use physical stress while others prefer mental stress, either way an OC will be pushed. Now the question is what would be the better of the two programs. Personally I would use a combination of both in limited amounts.

There is a pretty good combination of both here. While the physical part isn't quite as demanding as I thought it would be, we've had some difficult events. The 3, 4, and 5 mile release runs are challenging for people that aren't used to running more than 2 miles, and the rucks (Two 5 miles, two 7 miles, and a 10 mile) are at a pretty good pace (at least Bravo Company is). It was uncomfortable enough out on the lanes to keep people a little stressed, some tempers got pretty frayed. Mentally, it's a lot harder here. Due to the current atmosphere at OCS (lots of OCs, not a lot of commissions needed) people are on pins and needles for the first 9 weeks. Now that we're past all the difficult events, people are finally relaxing some.

M2G
08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I would like to an interation at the Federal program just to see the differences. I know of a couple of Guard officers that have gone through the program and all of them are good officers. I am a big proponent of being open to new ways of training.

papachop
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
I would like to an interation at the Federal program just to see the differences. I know of a couple of Guard officers that have gone through the program and all of them are good officers. I am a big proponent of being open to new ways of training.

Overall, I've learned a lot. Time is utilized much more efficiently than at BCT, where you spend hours a week waiting around doing nothing. There isn't much down-time here. The immersion kinda sucks; I'm not real fond of being treated like a 17 year old BCT private, but nothing we can do about that. I understand the idea of wanting OCs to focus on training, but it seems a bit oppressive at times - especially when you were already at BCT for 10 weeks, and then at HHC waiting to class up for 6 weeks after that, than the first 6 weeks of Basic Phase with your Line Company.

zmcgooga
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Papachop do you know a Leong that might be at OCS with you?

papachop
08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I most certainly do - he's in my platoon, and if you look at the middle video you'll see him. :-) He's pretty damn solid.

zmcgooga
08-19-2011, 04:38 PM
I know he's a great guy, he was in my platoon back in basic and a guy that I looked up to. I saw "someone" post the same video's on his facebook page that you posted here so I figured you might know him. If you get a chance tell him platoon mcgoogan said hey.

papachop
08-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Trick and Leong said "What's up?" and "You get married?".

Exo1
08-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Just a few clips from our week out in the field for FLX 2.

An SOC laying down some scunion with the M249 SAW. Suppressing fire as the SAW gunner for Bravo Team (the Support by Fire Element for this deliberate attack)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225292677517198&oid=196069960445322&comments

An SOC putting more rounds downrange as a member of OpFor (Opposing Force)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225291530850646&oid=196069960445322&comments

An SOC issuing a WARNO (Warning Order, basically a "Heads up, mission on the way") to another SOC

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=225466967499769&oid=196069960445322&comments

Good stuff PapaC... all part of the course!!...