PDA

View Full Version : Rangers lead the way against combat deaths

MSGDay
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
by Joe Gould
The 75th Ranger Regiment has all but eliminated “preventable” combat deaths, according to a new report in the Archives of Surgery that was based on data collected since 2001. “The military has advanced combat casualty care absolutely tremendously,” said Dr. Donald Trunkey, a trauma surgeon at the Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, told [...]

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/outside-the-wire/files/2011/08/ranger-casualty2.jpg

read more @ Outside The Wire ? Rangers lead the way against combat deaths (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/outside-the-wire/2011/08/17/rangers-lead-the-way-against-combat-deaths/)
:cool:

MSG Glenn
08-18-2011, 08:13 AM
It's amazing how much medical training a grunt gets in the 75th Regt. My son, an Infantryman in the 3rd Ranger Batt had the good fortune of saving the life of a fellow Ranger in Iraq. The wounded Ranger had his legs shattered by a grenade & my son was able to stop the bleeding & perform other first aid in such a manner that not only was the life saved but so were the legs. This was all done in the middle of a firefight. Needless to say he received a medal for his successful efforts.

FA_Medic
08-19-2011, 06:37 AM
I train all the guys in my patrol how to perform a casualty assessment. We aren't Rangers, but we all know what to do. Simple interventions work wonders, and I want to be sure that if I'm the one hurt...my guys can keep me alive long enough to get to the CSH. Some of them are pretty well-versed on non-compressible wounds as well.

MSG Glenn
08-19-2011, 07:04 AM
You'll make a good NCO, FA. It's imprtant to train troops to be able to do things outside of their MOS or duty assignment especially when it comes to saving Doc's life, lol.

Exo1
08-21-2011, 09:07 AM
It's amazing how much medical training a grunt gets in the 75th Regt. My son, an Infantryman in the 3rd Ranger Batt had the good fortune of saving the life of a fellow Ranger in Iraq. The wounded Ranger had his legs shattered by a grenade & my son was able to stop the bleeding & perform other first aid in such a manner that not only was the life saved but so were the legs. This was all done in the middle of a firefight. Needless to say he received a medal for his successful efforts.

Great stuff Top, occupational first aid is a real life saver and kudos to your son on an amazing intervention in "less then favorable conditions"....

Exo