PDA

View Full Version : The unforgiven

MSGDay
09-17-2011, 10:18 AM
By Greyhawk
http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/images/cptswen.jpg
Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer did not perform his heroics alone - he and Army Capt. William Swenson "worked in tandem under an avalanche of enemy fire" that day in Ganjgal. And yet...
Swenson has received nothing. The lack of recognition raises questions whether Swenson's angry criticism of Army officers, who repeatedly refused to send fire support that day, is the reason he has not been decorated.
It is "ridiculous" that Swenson hasn't yet been recognized for his heroism, Meyer said. Swenson also repeatedly braved fire in the battle, working with the Marines to engage enemy fighters and evacuate U.S. and Afghan casualties from a kill zone, the Medal of Honor nominee said.
"I'll put it this way," Meyer said. "If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be alive today."
Swenson, who left the Army in February, could not be reached for comment.
This follow-on story indicates Swenson (who attended the White House ceremony for Meyer) has now been nominated for the Medal of Honor, too.
Nominations for the nation's highest award for valor are not supposed to be made public before the ultimate decision has been made - but for whatever reason, someone somewhere views Swenson's case as a necessary exception to that rule. (And that's something else he has in common with Dakota Meyer.)

MPclk2006
09-17-2011, 11:33 AM
old news, I saw this article and now every time that I see stuff about the Marine getting the Medal of Honor, I wonder, when will the CPT get his recognizion...

CWO Sharkey
09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I realized it is not about medals. I been told I should of received a bronze star on my last two deployments and it didn't happen. So what. I did my tour and survived. That is what counts in my book. Also, I am not goi g to chase a PH that I supposedly rate as well so I can get a nice license plate and cash from the VA.