View Full Version : Temporary Duty

05-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Hey, Im a Pvt in the Army Reserves, 31B. Ive heard about something called Temporary Duty, where you can be assigned to perform your MOS job, kinda like active duty for periods of 6 months or even a couple of years. The reason i ask is I have become kinda attached to my squad, platoon, etc and when they deploy i still wanna go with them and fight with them and cant imagine doing it with anyone else. ANd i hear if i go on this Temporary Duty i can still be attached to my unit so im kinda like active duty but still will deploy with my unit. Is my description of this accurate at all? If so how do I sign up for something like this? If not, what is an accurate description of Temporary Duty.


Master Tanker
05-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Crcata, it looks like you know all about TDY. Temporary duty means away from your regular post or station for a while and usually with extra pay. All the rest you have stated above. But it does not mean that your buddies will go with you, as you said or wished. You could go by your lonesome self. Yes, if you are TDY you still belong to your unit.

05-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey thanks for the reply, and i knew my buddies wouldnt come with me on the TDY. I was just concerned about if i go on TDY if i would still deploy overseas with them given my unit deploys while im doing TDY. But if i got it all correct then, how do i go about doing TDY? do i ask my unit commander? do i have to find a job for my MOS via email or the internet or what?

Master Tanker
05-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Crcata, when I was active the unit you are in selects you for TDY, not you. They get requests from above for TDY guys. But you could go to the orderly room and put in a request, which I did and got it.

05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I assume by orderly room you mean like our office at my unit? or is it something different?

05-09-2009, 01:02 PM
MT- Temp Duty in the USAR is a little different.

Crcata- There are a couple types of temporary duty you can perform in the USAR.

1) ADSW- Active Duty for Special Work

2) TDY- Active Duty for Training

You can also possibly do advanced ADT, MUTA's and BUTA's.

You can also volunteer for deployments on your AKO USAR Portal.

Lastly, have you thought about AGR (Active Guard and Reserves) the application process has been streamlined over the past 10 years or so. It is the same as being on Active Duty however you are keeping a USAR unit operational during the 28 days in between UTA's?

You need to speak to your Unit Administrator (UA) at your USAR unit/ Reserve Center whichever pertains to your unit.

05-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey thanks for the posts, hey dibblejr, will you elaborate more on all active reserves or w/e? am i still IN my current unit if i go active reserves? or am i just in my unit for 28 days then i get switched?

05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
If you apply and get accepted into the AGR program 99.9% you will be reassigned to a totally different unit and geographical area than your current home.

Depending on your MOS you may even get to reclass. If you get to reclass you will first go to Fort McCoy, WI for an indoctrination (AGRETS) into the AGR program. It is a 2 week program. During this 2 weeks you will fill out your household move paper work, get your family enrolled into DEERS ect.

Once you complete your AGRETS class if you need to reclass you will attend AIT where you will live in a totally seperate place than with the PVT's. Unlike them you just show up for class and sit at the back of the class room. You go whereever you want for lunch and after class you return to your home, hotel or wherever you are staying during your TDY.

Once you finish AIT you will report to your new USAR unit. You will attend weekend drills with your new unit however normally you will be compensated by your supervisor (normally the UA).

The USMC calls it I&I duty. Once you complete your 20 years of active federal service you can apply to retire. All benefits of Active Duty apply.

Every USAR usually has an AGR Training NCO, Admin/ Finance NCO, Supply NCO and Maint NCO (s) if you have a motor pool.

You can receive a lot of good advice from the AGR members in your current unit. You can also apply online.

Hope that helped you.

Hey thanks for the posts, hey dibblejr, will you elaborate more on all active reserves or w/e? am i still IN my current unit if i go active reserves? or am i just in my unit for 28 days then i get switched?