PDA

View Full Version : Radio Etiquette

Vance_Dance
04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
So I'm standing my post, and it's starting to get boring. And I'm starting to get complacent. And I'm starting to get sleeeepy. And this is a bad thing, considering that falling asleep on the job is one of the quickest ways to lose rank. So there I was, falling asleep.

And you might ask yourself, what does a soldier do when he is on the brink of falling asleep?

We play with the radio.

"Guardian 09, this is Guardian 05, over."

"Send it for 09"

"Knock Knock"

"....Who's there?"

"Radio Check"

"Radio Check, who? ... Roger 05, Lima Charlie. Out."

...I love it here.

CWO Sharkey
04-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Where are you at? Basic?

CWO Sharkey
04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh, I just saw that you were deployed? Where are you at? I hope you are playing on an internal freq lol

UCPharmD
04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
We usually just took a shot of Tabasco from our MREs. That's enough to wake you up.

StayFrosty
04-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Oh, I just saw that you were deployed? Where are you at? I hope you are playing on an internal freq lol

This.... everything depends on who's listening in. We had all kinds of nonstandard (still professional) stuff on our PLT net. A lot was based on the fact that after a while, nobody had to ID themselves because we all recognized the voice - when I keyed up, the conversation was closer to an actual face-to-face convo than a by-the-book radio transmission.

But if the BC is listening in, or you're talking on a higher-level freq, the game changes entirely.

papachop
04-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Reminds me of the many open-mics we had at my last job (911):

Partner after giving out a driving complaint: "Yeah yeah, I know, you're never gonna f*cking catch him."

Partner confirms a 28 (license plate): "Was that Tom Victor George 738?"
Silence
Partner: "Or you can just be a dick and not say anything."
Me: Points frantically at the orange light over her station indicating she's still on the radio.

Detective Commander on duty at a football game: "Hey man, look in this f*cking cooler! That's some nasty s*it in there!"

CWO Sharkey
04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
I love the hot mike stories

Vance_Dance
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM

I'm currently stationed at Camp Lemonier in the Horn of Africa. Ohh it's definitely internal. I know my limits haha

Exo1
05-07-2012, 08:57 AM
So I'm standing my post, and it's starting to get boring. And I'm starting to get complacent. And I'm starting to get sleeeepy. And this is a bad thing, considering that falling asleep on the job is one of the quickest ways to lose rank. So there I was, falling asleep.

And you might ask yourself, what does a soldier do when he is on the brink of falling asleep?

We play with the radio.

"Guardian 09, this is Guardian 05, over."

"Send it for 09"

"Knock Knock"

"....Who's there?"

"Radio Check"

"Radio Check, who? ... Roger 05, Lima Charlie. Out."

...I love it here.

What ever you do, just DONT start singing "Jungle Book" on a command frequency... No matter how boring it gets!!!!.. LOL... Jeez, some idiots just don't understand that there are adults listening in... lol..

Grunt Medic TXARNG
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
An actual recorded message from one of our field problems, played back at the AAR (After-Action Review) by the OCs for ALL Battalion senior staff officers and noncoms -

(Battalion Executive Officer to Company Commander) "Be advised, your TOC is in the approach lane for our scout choppers, will need you to relocate 250 meters south of your present postion"
(Co. CO to XO) "It took my guys all day to set up! Is there any other way to do this?"
(Battalion Commander, Breaking in on transmission) "Look, you're going to take it in the ass on this one - the only question is, how deep is it going to go?"

:D

Grunt Medic TXARNG
05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
[Private, goofing around on Radio] "Lost 3, this is Lost 1 - are you lost, too, Over?"
[General , breaking in to transmission] "Last calling station! Do you know who this is?"
[Private] "Negative, go ahead - over"
[General] "This is the General!"
[Private] "Roger - do you know who this is?"
[General] "No!!!"
[Private] "And you never will... Out!"

Vance_Dance
05-09-2012, 01:55 PM
It's so crazy the things you say and do when are bored lmao.

Bmehas
07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
[Private, goofing around on Radio] "Lost 3, this is Lost 1 - are you lost, too, Over?"
[General , breaking in to transmission] "Last calling station! Do you know who this is?"
[Private] "Negative, go ahead - over"
[General] "This is the General!"
[Private] "Roger - do you know who this is?"
[General] "No!!!"
[Private] "And you never will... Out!"

Thats pretty damn funny.

Nightflyer
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
I've heard this one before from motor pool, always makes me chuckle. ;)

Thank you Sergeant..

Will_13fox
10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
2002 Korea KTC force on force type of training thing, I forgot what they called it. Just your average wargames. Anyhoo. I was sitting on an OP with a 5 man fist team. Eating MRE's and going through alcohol withdraws, when I heard the most glorious trasnsaction over the radio ever. Our batallion XO was one of "those" types. By the book, at the time I thought he was a DICK, but later looking back he was just good at what he did. Well after doing a radio check I hear this.

[mystery guy] I'm crazy, I'm crazy......
[mystery guy] I'm crazy, I'm crazy......
this repeated about 5 times and then I heard this
[XO] This is Crusader 5, who keeps hot mic'n and say he is crazy
about 1 minute goes by and I think the dude got scared off, then I hear it.
[mystery guy] I'm crazy, I'm crazy.....
[XO] You are interrupting a battalion mission, why dont you be a man and just tell us who you are....
[mystery guy] I'm crazy, I'm crazy.......BUT IM NOT THAT CRAZY DICK!!!

that made our day lol. funniest thing still I have ever heard on the radio,

A close second would be talking to any pilot while calling in CAS, absolutely no radio discipline

usually sounded like this.
"Awww shit, I fucking missed it that pass, keep lazeing I will come back by.