PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Question

Unlisted
08-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I was planning on enlisting as 18 Bravo (Special Forces Weapons Sergeant) but I wear glasses. Will that exclude me from Special Forces? Airborne?

USArmyRetired
08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I was planning on enlisting as 18 Bravo (Special Forces Weapons Sergeant) but I wear glasses. Will that exclude me from Special Forces? Airborne?

Nope. Didn't stop me. You're not going to enlist for it though. You get selected for that one, big guy. Start out as 11B with Airborne Option, and go from there. WARNING: Most of the Infantry want to do it, so you'll have a lot of competition...

Unlisted
08-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I shouldn't have put enlisting. That's not what I meant but I was distracted. Anyways, Glasses won't stop you from getting into SF or Airborne? Great. Thanks.

MPclk2006
08-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Nope. Didn't stop me. You're not going to enlist for it though. You get selected for that one, big guy. Start out as 11B with Airborne Option, and go from there. WARNING: Most of the Infantry want to do it, so you'll have a lot of competition...

Why not? Did you get a USAREC messsage I didnt? I didnt know that. As of Friday of last week (I need to check my email this morning I guess) 18X is still open for enlistment, you just have to qualify for it like any other MOS and you can enlist and be guaranteed try-outs for it....again with the bad information, making a habit out of it, Retired?

dibblejr
08-24-2009, 04:58 AM
^^ Didnt you know he gets messages from USAREC before you, maybe he's a contract recruiter. (LOL)

Here's a proud DEP'r that just enlisted for it. Maybe he got the last seat before USAREC changed the rules.

http://www.armyforums.com/showthread.php?t=774

USArmyRetired
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Why not? Did you get a USAREC messsage I didnt? I didnt know that. As of Friday of last week (I need to check my email this morning I guess) 18X is still open for enlistment, you just have to qualify for it like any other MOS and you can enlist and be guaranteed try-outs for it....again with the bad information, making a habit out of it, Retired?

Yes, a guaranteed try out and a guaranteed slot are two different animals. I don't know when they changed it to be honest, but when I joined in 1984, you couldn't enlist for SF. I had to go 11B, then Airborne, then I got to go through selection 4 years later when they had "try outs" at a place where I was, Q-Course, and then on to another selection where the determined WHICH 18-series I would become. Followed by yet another school. It's a long process and they didn't let people enlist for it because of the attrition rate. I'm surprised they do now. Good stuff, and yes, I retired in 2004 after a tour in A-Stan and a tour in Iraq. 4 months in A-Stan, and 7 in Iraq. Back problems. Group Surgeon said I risked paralysis if I jumped anymore. Got 3 discs fused together in 2006, but it made little difference. Oh well...

USArmyRetired
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM

I reread what you wrote again...why guarantee a try out? SF recruiters hit every post every year, and it's open to anyone who wants to try out for it. The individual still has to have an MOS, correct? It sounds more like 18X is like an Airborne option, right?

dibblejr
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
^^It's called marketing. The Army can attract some of those applicants who are looking to be all they can be.

SF recruiters hit the posts attracting those soldiers who are alreadt enlisted and perhaps sitting in a go nowhere MOS.

USArmyRetired
08-25-2009, 03:34 AM

OK, so if the soldier enlists for 18X (since their actual MOS gets assigned after testing and the Q-Course) and he doesn't make it through selection at all since they have a 30% group who can't pass the "try outs", and 60% attrition in the Q-Course, does the soldier who probably just got in over his head just go home? Is he booted, or does he have an actual MOS (like 11B) that he falls back on? If he has an MOS from an AIT already, then my point stands that nobody "enlists" for 18X, and it's more like an ASI.

If he gets booted because he DID enlist for 18X, then that's a HUGE waste of money in my opinion. I honestly don't know anyone who could go straight from BT to SF as there's so much you need to know prior to the Q-Course that needs actual experience, and not just a school.

ajd2598
08-25-2009, 03:59 AM
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=344

^^ Go Army.com listing for 18X MOS. To answer your question, if the applicant does not make it through selection and training into an 18 series MOS, then they are reclassed as an 11 series soldier, with airborne training. Either way, the Army gets a warrior.

MPclk2006
08-25-2009, 06:27 AM
OK, so if the soldier enlists for 18X (since their actual MOS gets assigned after testing and the Q-Course) and he doesn't make it through selection at all since they have a 30% group who can't pass the "try outs", and 60% attrition in the Q-Course, does the soldier who probably just got in over his head just go home? Is he booted, or does he have an actual MOS (like 11B) that he falls back on? If he has an MOS from an AIT already, then my point stands that nobody "enlists" for 18X, and it's more like an ASI.

If he gets booted because he DID enlist for 18X, then that's a HUGE waste of money in my opinion. I honestly don't know anyone who could go straight from BT to SF as there's so much you need to know prior to the Q-Course that needs actual experience, and not just a school.

YOU DO ENLIST FOR 18X. 18X is just like 11X contract you dont get an actual MOS until you graduate.

Option 40 is Ranger, Option 4 is Airborne. With a contract for 18X, you go to OSUT for 11X, graduate then go try out for SF, if you dont make it you become just regular infantry, you make it you are SF. 18X IS NOT AN ASI AND ITS NOT LIKE AN ASI, is an enlistment option just like any other option.

Please stop confusing people that might read this later on.

MPclk2006
08-25-2009, 06:32 AM
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=344

^^ Go Army.com listing for 18X MOS. To answer your question, if the applicant does not make it through selection and training into an 18 series MOS, then they are reclassed as an 11 series soldier, with airborne training. Either way, the Army gets a warrior.

Great info, but, you do not get reclassed to 11X after you fail, 11X training is part of your initial training into 18X.

ajd2598
08-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Thank you for the correction MP. I meant to suggest that you would assume a role in the infantry if you failed? I just didn't know if you would become an 11B, or if you could end up as any of the MOS's in the 11 series? Thx.

Unlisted
08-25-2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=54

USArmyRetired
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Please stop confusing people that might read this later on.

I was asking a question. I fail to see how that would confuse a normal person, but I could see it fucking up your head, and that of the dibbler. I don't understand why it is that you and that other idiot feel you are in charge of this forum. Do you feel that way because of some self-assigned seniority since you've been here longer than others, or are you trying to wear your old rank still?

This will be my last post, so feel free to talk all the shit you want since I won't be around to read it. Same with that guy who gets upset and dibbles all over the forum. He's managed to irritate more than me since I've been on this forum for a whole WEEK.

Thanks for the answer. It's still not the same thing as enlisting for 11B though. Of course wearing your blinders, I'm sure it is. If you were never 18-series, you don't know what you're talking about. 11-series will recycle a soldier until he passes. 18-series won't. You get one shot, and one shot only. You can reapply at a later date if you fail, but you don't get recycled until you get it right. I'm glad I worked with a group of people with a different mindset than ya'll. I wouldn't have made it in the regular Army; or you wouldn't have.

To the OP; I would enlist in an 11-series MOS you want, then go for SF. the reason being is that if you wash out, then they might make you an 11-series that you don't want to be. They might make you mortars 11C instead of Infantryman...Be what you want to be first. 18-series is NOT a cakewalk. No Army school is going to prep you for the reality of the Q-Course. You need some experience first.

Have a good day everyone, except for the 2 fucksticks I mentioned above.:D

ajd2598
08-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, that was a classy exit. Thanks for visiting.

MPclk2006
08-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Well Im glad that guy is gone, I bet he didnt even retire, and is a wannabe or something, oh well.

He is still wrong, and giving bad advices. If someone wants to be SF and qualifies go for 18X. He states to enlist for the 11 Series job you want or else "we will" make you the 11Series we want, wrong again, no matter if you go 11X or 18X, the Army will decide which one you get while in training, so if you sign up for 11X you might get 11B or 11C, same with 18X, if you wash out, well you already went through 11X training and already know if you are 11B or 11C...haha wow that guy must have never been anywhere close to the SF, Infantry or Recruiting.

Not to mention he said something about me wearing my old rank? What old Rank, my PV2 rank? now thats some old rank, considering I am active duty and currently a SGT...hahaha well again glad he is gone, specially with that attitude.

Hopefully someone with moderator rights can just go ahead and delete all of his 30 posts, and ban the account. Man I miss my moderator rights I had at the last site I ran (it crashed and the admin guy is not there to fix it and I cant without admin rights!!)

dibblejr
08-25-2009, 10:47 PM
As you know theowner and us are working on setting up the mod rights, being he just lost his dad it may take a lil bit.

I too am glad the expert of crap talking is done and he wil have an IP ban as soon as rights are distributed.

Well Im glad that guy is gone, I bet he didnt even retire, and is a wannabe or something, oh well.

He is still wrong, and giving bad advices. If someone wants to be SF and qualifies go for 18X. He states to enlist for the 11 Series job you want or else "we will" make you the 11Series we want, wrong again, no matter if you go 11X or 18X, the Army will decide which one you get while in training, so if you sign up for 11X you might get 11B or 11C, same with 18X, if you wash out, well you already went through 11X training and already know if you are 11B or 11C...haha wow that guy must have never been anywhere close to the SF, Infantry or Recruiting.

Not to mention he said something about me wearing my old rank? What old Rank, my PV2 rank? now thats some old rank, considering I am active duty and currently a SGT...hahaha well again glad he is gone, specially with that attitude.

Hopefully someone with moderator rights can just go ahead and delete all of his 30 posts, and ban the account. Man I miss my moderator rights I had at the last site I ran (it crashed and the admin guy is not there to fix it and I cant without admin rights!!)

MPclk2006
08-26-2009, 04:51 AM
OH no I totally understand that is taking a while, i am not at all complaining about that, didnt mean it to sound that way.

ajd2598
08-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear about the webmaster's father. You seem to be in contact with him, so give him the forum's best.

- Adam

USArmyRetired
08-27-2009, 04:56 AM
As you know theowner and us are working on setting up the mod rights, being he just lost his dad it may take a lil bit.

I too am glad the expert of crap talking is done and he wil have an IP ban as soon as rights are distributed.

Sucking his cock to get admin rights, huh? Oh nooooo, an IP ban? Do it, and I'll show you a trick since I have a floating IP if I change from DHCP. Mine can change every day, and sometimes 2-3 times a day. WTF are you gonna' do about that? I know; NOTHING!! I could also set up a NAT and hide my IP completely...You know shit about computers, don't you? I'll post here as often as I want, which is no more after this one, but I don't want you to think for a second that it was because of something you claimed to do. Now go wipe your chin. There's some dibble hanging off of it.

BTW, it takes like 5 minutes to set up admin rights, so it should have been done when you started bragging about it. Perhaps the guy doesn't really want you to have them with your ego.

Idiot.

dibblejr
08-27-2009, 05:13 AM
EVERYONE Just Ignore This Trolls Replys And Like I Said He Will Go Away. The Owner Of The Site Will Be Taking Care Of His Account And Making This Forum Much More Pleasant As Soon As He Can.

USArmyRetired
08-27-2009, 06:54 AM
EVERYONE Just Ignore This Trolls Replys And Like I Said He Will Go Away. The Owner Of The Site Will Be Taking Care Of His Account And Making This Forum Much More Pleasant As Soon As He Can.

Yes everyone...Listen to your Master or he will ban you too. Supposedly. Go back to school and learn proper word usage Dibbler. It would be "Replies"...Dumbass.

I thought you said YOU were going to ban me? Wassamatta, not enough "Power" to do that? Or not enough brains? I think it's BOTH. You surely are a prick though. Which shift are you working today at McDonalds?

Look at my IP...It's different this time. Want another? Couple hundred of them? Want me to hide it? Want me to use yours, and then get banned?..lol:D

USArmyRetired
08-27-2009, 06:56 AM
buh bye...unless you keep running your mouth. You tell everyone to "ignore" me, but you keep talking. That makes you a hypocrite..

ajd2598
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, if nothing else, I'd say it's pretty obvious that this man is not and was never a retired Special Forces operator in the U.S. Army. I've not seen that degree of stupidity since elementary school. Did mommy teach you how to cuss? :D Jay-R, I can't wait till someone deletes this kid.

danneh
08-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey if your going for 11x or 11b which ever one you wanna call it you better look out for me then. Lol im gonna try to become a Army Ranger or at least join SF. But GOOD LUCK!!!

USArmyRetired
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, if nothing else, I'd say it's pretty obvious that this man is not and was never a retired Special Forces operator in the U.S. Army. I've not seen that degree of stupidity since elementary school. Did mommy teach you how to cuss? :D Jay-R, I can't wait till someone deletes this kid.

You have no idea Private. None. I'm retired now. I take shit from nobody.

ajd2598
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
*sigh* Of course you don't. Your a big bad bully on an online forum, and I'm rightfully scared for my life. dibble, I'm sorry I continued to antagonize him, I just couldn't resist.

MPclk2006
08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
hahah, who said they were coming back again? man trolls dont stop.

Unlisted
08-27-2009, 07:08 PM
This forum is going downhill with all this damn bickering.

Danneh, when are you enlisting/shipping?

danneh
08-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Hmm my recruiter want me to get 15 credits for college and i can only get 5 this semester. So i can prob enlist in November when classes for next semester start. Then ill be able to take the asvab and find out my bootcamp date. But i am going for Army Ranger or SF either that Sniper school. I had a check up on my eyes like last week my doctor told me its 20/20 so hopefully it stays that way. :)

USArmyRetired
08-28-2009, 04:21 AM
hahah, who said they were coming back again? man trolls dont stop.

Learn English please. You are supposed to represent the military, and most of them aren't that illiterate.

hahah, (Start with a capital letter) who said they were (Do you mean "Weren't"?) coming back again? Man, (comma) trolls don't (Contraction of do and not, with an APOSTROPHE) stop.

You claim to be a Sergeant? I don't think you are. Surely the Army wouldn't let someone that dumb into their ranks. Even a cook's ASVAB is higher than yours. You're probably some little kid ditching school while posting away.

daddytattooed
08-28-2009, 04:33 AM
this bickering in every other post is getting out of control. i've enjoyed this forum over the other military forums i have found and for that reason i've refered a few people to this forum from my future soldier trainning meets as a place where other soldiers waiting to ship out like myself can chat with multiple military generations. can the bickering just be moved to PMs for the sake of the rest of us? even if a person on the forum has never been in the military they should still be able to accept critism, fault and agree do disagree. yet i have read more material on complaints over the past week than i have of actual questions being answered.

dibblejr
08-28-2009, 04:40 AM
^^ Dont let it get you down. Hopefully in a short time the person in question will be gone.

dibblejr
08-28-2009, 05:19 AM
The "Pot calling the Kettle Black":)

You are amusing all of us.:rolleyes:

You claim to be a Sergeant? I don't think you are. Surely the Army wouldn't let someone that dumb into their ranks. Even a cook's ASVAB is higher than yours. You're probably some little kid ditching school while posting away.[/QUOTE]

USArmyRetired
08-28-2009, 05:28 AM
^^ Dont let it get you down. Hopefully in a short time the person in question will be gone.

haha...now it's hopefully. It went from "I'll ban you" to The owner is going to ban you if you don't stop" to "Hopefully"...Dibbler, you're an idiot.

Hopefully the person who started this will be gone soon. Yes.:D

dibblejr
08-28-2009, 05:39 AM
^^ Well, one of the 5 of us will "Ban You", I just hope the other 4 give me dibs.

USArmyRetired
08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
^^ Well, one of the 5 of us will "Ban You", I just hope the other 4 give me dibs.

You remind me of Barney Fife...Especially with the last name of Dibble. I hope I'm using your IP address when you try and ban me by IP...lol

MPclk2006
08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Yes "Retired", you cought me, I am a HS Senior....what a douche!

Unlike you I have posted enough here for people to realize by just reading my posts, that I am who I claim I am and do what I claim I do. You have yet to provide enough, telling people to lie to Recruiters, constantly giving wrong information, cursing at other forum members. What a great leader to work for you must have been.

As far as the spelling, last time I checked we are not in English class and this is not a grammar related forum. We are here to help/get help regarding the Army, you have yet to provide any useful help to anyone here. So I ask you refrain from correcting anyone on their grammar, I would totally understand if it was to the point where it was not getting the point across, but what you did was nit pick in order to start an argument/fight, awesome leadership skill champ, keep at it.

MPclk2006
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Have you noticed you are the only one calling people out, cursing at them? We have just brought up when you were wrong, lying, etc, you cant so you attack us.

Unlisted
08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
This bickering has to stop. Honestly I find Dibble to be a major part of it too.

USArmyRetired
08-29-2009, 05:34 AM
This bickering has to stop. Honestly I find Dibble to be a major part of it too.

Thank you, even though I know you're not on "my side" or anything. All I needed was an impartial look at things. I'm done attacking now.

Have a wonderful day.

USArmyRetired
08-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Have you noticed you are the only one calling people out, cursing at them? We have just brought up when you were wrong, lying, etc, you cant so you attack us.

The only thing I was wrong about was in ONE thread where I misspoke and said it didn't matter if a record was sealed. I was wrong about THAT. As far as my OPINION about non-disclosure goes, recruiters tell their recruits not to mention things ALL THE TIME. Anyway, since my "mistake" was on a different thread, why are you bringing it up on THIS thread? Why did you CHOOSE to follow me over here and start attacking? Huh? Read back to where it started, and YOU came after ME on this thread. I hadn't said anything to you first.

P.S. This wasn't an attack. I was merely pointing out facts.