+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Holsters

  1. #1
    Junior Member M2G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default Holsters

    I am deploying at the end of this month and need to get a comfortable holster. I am short, 5' 8" and the issue one is horrible.

    I am looking at the Blackhawk SERPA, any suggestions / comments?

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense image
    Join Date
    Just Now
    Posts
    42

  • #2
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,310

    Default

    I've used both Blackhawk & Sherpa for my Glocks & they seemed fine. I'm at 5'7" & found them to be comfortable.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #3
    Senior Member Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    See if you can find your unit's written policy on non-issued gear. It's usually in your Field SOP (FSOP) or a unit (battalion or higher) uniform policy.

    The SERPA is good gear, and it comes in Foliage green, which should keep even the most picky Sergeants Major happy. I have a SERPA rig in Foliage set up for 3-gun competition; a Foliage Pistol Belt, the CQC SERPA holster with the quick disconnect kit (positions the pistol about 1/2" further away from the body, which helps in the draw stroke), 2X ITW FASTMAG rifle magazine holders, 2 BLACKHAWK pistol magazine holders, and a BLACKHAWK light carrier for low light shooting. I was able to wear the above while in uniform - and now that I'm retired it's effective for carbine matches.


    Hope this helps!
    68W4P, 31B4P, 0341, 0844
    24 years and DONE!!!

    "Even if you know that a certain illustration in an art book is from the Kama Sutra, don't point that out to your art history class. They will think you're a pervert." - seen at learnfrommyfail.com

  • #4
    Senior Member Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    Oh, and if you get the quick disconnect kit and appropriate mounting platoforms, you can run the 1 SERPA holster on a belt, affixed to your IOTV or on a drop leg platform - one of the reasons I went that way was for the flexibility and modularity.
    68W4P, 31B4P, 0341, 0844
    24 years and DONE!!!

    "Even if you know that a certain illustration in an art book is from the Kama Sutra, don't point that out to your art history class. They will think you're a pervert." - seen at learnfrommyfail.com

  • #5
    Short Timer CWO Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Regular Army
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post
    See if you can find your unit's written policy on non-issued gear. It's usually in your Field SOP (FSOP) or a unit (battalion or higher) uniform policy.

    The SERPA is good gear, and it comes in Foliage green, which should keep even the most picky Sergeants Major happy. I have a SERPA rig in Foliage set up for 3-gun competition; a Foliage Pistol Belt, the CQC SERPA holster with the quick disconnect kit (positions the pistol about 1/2" further away from the body, which helps in the draw stroke), 2X ITW FASTMAG rifle magazine holders, 2 BLACKHAWK pistol magazine holders, and a BLACKHAWK light carrier for low light shooting. I was able to wear the above while in uniform - and now that I'm retired it's effective for carbine matches.


    Hope this helps!
    You truly have too much time on your hands now that you are retired lol

    BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. SERPA Holster for M9 9mm Pistols

    This is the one I see alot down here that soldiers swap to the conceal carry look and then connecting it to the IOTV.

    I use to wear my thigh holster that I was comfortable with it.

    Also, there are haji shops down here that sells holsters for a good price. Pistol now has to face down when you wear the holster compared to Iraq back in OIF V.

    Good luck.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran (OIF V & OEF X & XIII)
    101st Airborne Division & 4th Infantry Division combat vet
    Serving overseas

  • #6
    Short Timer CWO Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Regular Army
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post
    Oh, and if you get the quick disconnect kit and appropriate mounting platoforms, you can run the 1 SERPA holster on a belt, affixed to your IOTV or on a drop leg platform - one of the reasons I went that way was for the flexibility and modularity.
    The exact configuation which is the apparent de facto standard.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran (OIF V & OEF X & XIII)
    101st Airborne Division & 4th Infantry Division combat vet
    Serving overseas

  • #7
    Senior Member Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWO Sharkey View Post
    You truly have too much time on your hands now that you are retired lol
    I'm not sure I agree, Sir - I made time for marksmanship competition when I was active duty including during deployments, then when I was working full time as a civilian and part time as a Guardsman - now that I'm only working 1 full time job I suppose I do have a bit more free time, yes.

    When I can answer a Soldier's question about gear which I have an opinion on having used, I plan to continue doing so. At the least, maybe it will save some from buying low quality Hajii gear, overpriced and barely adequate stuff in the PX downrange - or worse, wearing stuff that makes no sense tactically (like the issued black leather shounder holsters that used to be all the rage - but which i always saw worn incorrectly, with the holster flapping loose and not anchored to a belt as designed. Try drawing from THAT rig in a hurry!).

    I still like and recommend the SERPA as one of the best holsters I've used, for its usability, flexibility and durability (this last being one of the most important when deployed!).

    68W4P, 31B4P, 0341, 0844
    24 years and DONE!!!

    "Even if you know that a certain illustration in an art book is from the Kama Sutra, don't point that out to your art history class. They will think you're a pervert." - seen at learnfrommyfail.com

  • #8
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Go for quality guys, theres nothing like it in a pinch...
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • + Reply to Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts