+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Pistol

  1. #31
    Senior Member Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    Doc-

    Have you ever shot Federal Tactical bonded HST ammo in any caliber? I was able to get a box "for LEO use only" of .40 cal 180 gr. It's not illegal to own but Federal makes it for PDs & if there are overruns & leftovers it's available in gun shops. I also got a box for my son. I have yet to shoot it. It's quite expensive but the next time I'm at the range I might shoot a mag to make sure I can stay on target, etc. I found that "HST" means "High Shock Two" . It expands to twice the size (.80 cal.) If it's good enough for Police Officers why isn't it good enough for Soldiers?
    I have not done so - but I'll be looking for it now that I know about it.
    68W4P, 31B4P, 0341, 0844
    24 years and DONE!!!

    "Even if you know that a certain illustration in an art book is from the Kama Sutra, don't point that out to your art history class. They will think you're a pervert." - seen at learnfrommyfail.com

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense image
    Join Date
    Just Now
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    42

  • #32
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    I've done some research on the Federal Tactical HST bonded. Most people that I've talked to say it's good stuff. Many say that's all they carry. They find it to be a bit snappier than 165g FMJ so I guess more range time using it is called for. A PO friend of mine told me he qualified using them & had no problems at all. It's the "official" round of the Milwaukee PD used in the M&P40..
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #33
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    I've done some research on the Federal Tactical HST bonded. Most people that I've talked to say it's good stuff. Many say that's all they carry. They find it to be a bit snappier than 165g FMJ so I guess more range time using it is called for. A PO friend of mine told me he qualified using them & had no problems at all. It's the "official" round of the Milwaukee PD used in the M&P40..
    Cool stuff Top.. I googled it as Ive never heard of it before and apparently the word on gun forums is that Federal restrict its sale to LEOs and its rare to get "to go" sales even on their website... but not impossible... its compared greatly to the HST 165g fmj... I think it would make a great practice round for accuracy given its obvious "punch" of the round..
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • #34
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    The stuff is expensive. Federal 165g FMJ can be found for about $16 a box of 50 while the HST Bonded 180g is about $30. I've seen it advertised for as little as $21 on the web but shipping price brings the cost up pretty high. Of course the few places where I saw it advertised also had a "not available" disclaimer.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #35
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    The stuff is expensive. Federal 165g FMJ can be found for about $16 a box of 50 while the HST Bonded 180g is about $30. I've seen it advertised for as little as $21 on the web but shipping price brings the cost up pretty high. Of course the few places where I saw it advertised also had a "not available" disclaimer.
    Cool Stuff Top... Would shopping around for crates of ammo help? Buy in bulk? If I was living in the US, I would be on looking for the deal by the crate.. ammo is expensive and if your range practice is a hobby, you could do a couple hundred rounds a week.. it all adds up.. I like the .40 round but price is definitely on the side of 9mm..
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • #36
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Nothing wrong with 9MM. I had a Star semi-auto made in the mold of the Colt 1911. When range fees got out of hand & money was tight I sold my firearms except for a 12 gauge shotgun. I couldn't legally carry it anyhow & my neighborhood was a good one so I really didn't need it for home defense (Ahh. The good old days). Then I got the Armed Security job & because the firearm that I was offered by the agency was a piece of crap & I could hardly qualify on it I bought a Glock 23. When I left the armed sector after the government contract was finished at the plant I protected I gave it to my son. Couldn't legally carry it then, either. Then in November of last year we finally got a concealed carry law in WI, the 49th state to get one. Now I found myself with license in hand but no firearm. Finally saved enough to get this one on a sale & a good deal. Range time is very limited, to my dismay. I can shoot at my daughter's place in the country but that's over 65 miles away. I plan on going there this fall at least once a week & kill some tin cans. I'm hoping my son can get a LEO discount on quantity ammo & will go in with him but he won't be a sworn PO until January. I also hope that he & I can use the range at the Academy. I know he can but not sure about me. That's only a half mile from my house.

    Short story - I'm poor, just enough to pay bills & survive. Gasoline is up to $4 a gallon & that takes a big bite out of my wallet.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #37
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    Nothing wrong with 9MM. I had a Star semi-auto made in the mold of the Colt 1911. When range fees got out of hand & money was tight I sold my firearms except for a 12 gauge shotgun. I couldn't legally carry it anyhow & my neighborhood was a good one so I really didn't need it for home defense (Ahh. The good old days). Then I got the Armed Security job & because the firearm that I was offered by the agency was a piece of crap & I could hardly qualify on it I bought a Glock 23. When I left the armed sector after the government contract was finished at the plant I protected I gave it to my son. Couldn't legally carry it then, either. Then in November of last year we finally got a concealed carry law in WI, the 49th state to get one. Now I found myself with license in hand but no firearm. Finally saved enough to get this one on a sale & a good deal. Range time is very limited, to my dismay. I can shoot at my daughter's place in the country but that's over 65 miles away. I plan on going there this fall at least once a week & kill some tin cans. I'm hoping my son can get a LEO discount on quantity ammo & will go in with him but he won't be a sworn PO until January. I also hope that he & I can use the range at the Academy. I know he can but not sure about me. That's only a half mile from my house.

    Short story - I'm poor, just enough to pay bills & survive. Gasoline is up to $4 a gallon & that takes a big bite out of my wallet.
    I hear ya Top, 9mm is not without its charms for sure... The Academy range would be cool if your son could work it for ya... If not, then your Daughter can oblige which is cool!!. Gas at $4 a gallon, dont feel bad Top, I pay approx $10 a gallon where I am.. $80 a week on gas is no surprise here.. we are getting screwed here constantly... I would take WI prices anyday...
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • #38
    Senior Member Angriff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kohreeah
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    I got gas off post here in Korea about a month back. On post it costs $50 to fill up my tank. So when I went to the Korean place I put in the equivalent of around $45 and my tank was only half full. Never again am I doing that.
    TANKER - That dusty, crusty, grease-covered, dirty, sweaty, bright-eyed, fuzzie-faced,
    haircut-needing, beer-drinking, underrated, over-worked, underpaid,
    oversexed, little shit, who can take a tank and do more battlefield damage in
    ten minutes than a Grunt squad can do all day.

    If you ain't Armor, you ain't shit.

  • #39
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angriff View Post
    I got gas off post here in Korea about a month back. On post it costs $50 to fill up my tank. So when I went to the Korean place I put in the equivalent of around $45 and my tank was only half full. Never again am I doing that.
    I dont blame you, the price of fuel outside of the US in developed economies is staggering...
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 4
    FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts