+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: New pistol

  1. #1
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,310

    Default New pistol

    I just purchased a new pistol today - a S&W M&P 40C. The big problem is they're back ordered & it could take up to 3 months for them to get to the gun store. Hopefully it doesn't take that long because I have up to 31 Dec to cash in a coupon worth $50. The coupon is from Smith & Wesson for active duty, reserve, guard & retired military. As it is I got the officer's price on the firearm & it's under $400. My buddy wants to buy my S&W Sigma 40VE & that'll be $300 from him. I'd dearly love to have both but that's just not possible. I'll be losing 4 rounds of capacity but I can carry an extra mag so it's no big problem. I could have gotten it with night sights at $57 more & I still might opt for that. Haven't decided yet. Scraping up enough money for anything at any price has become increasingly difficult for me.

    I have a call into Smith concerning the coupon & since the gun was technically purchased today I don't see why it won't fly. The problem there is you have to provide the serial number of the 40C on the rebate application. No gun = no serial number. I have the sales receipt & a copy of my retired Army ID card so that's all that's missing.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense image
    Join Date
    Just Now
    Location
    In your thoughts
    Posts
    42

  • #2

  • #3
    Senior Member Exo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Nice Top, I hear it shoots real nice out of the box... $57 dollars for night sights??... I would get them bro.. cant go wrong for that price..

    I hear the stripping tool does break over time, but I also hear a new one is about $20 dollars shoring up the only weakness in the weapon in my view.. for domestic use, its a great weapon...

    Happy shooting Top!!..

    Best Regards..
    Exo
    Tenants of Bushido;

    ‘We should never obsess about if we are going to die, but instead focus on how we live as those whom live an honorable life will always die a glorious death.’

    Rectitude (義): Courage (勇氣): Benevolence (仁): Respect (禮 ): Honesty (誠): Honour (名誉): Loyalty (忠義)

    ...ergo veneratio est vires.

  • #4
    Short Timer CWO Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Regular Army
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    I just signed up for a NRA membership so I can get a new high speed camo bag lol. Nice gun Top.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran (OIF V & OEF X & XIII)
    101st Airborne Division & 4th Infantry Division combat vet
    Serving overseas

  • #5
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,310

    Default

    Now for the long wait, hopefully not too long. I thought the wait for the CCL would be long but it was only 8 days including the day I mailed the application.

    The rebate coupon was denied. I emailed S&W & although they have an outside company that handles rebates they went directly to them & they said they could honor no rebates without a serial number for the gun. I received a reply from Smith the very next day so the customer service seems to be good. I'm hoping that an M&P 40C with my name on it will be on the way to the gun store right away because of my inquiry, lol. If I get it fast it seems that I'll be able to use the outdoor range because our weather has been dry & mostly warm. My son-in-law has a neighbor who said we could use his range any time we want to. It's an hour drive but still a lot cheaper than using an indoor range. I'm stockpiling plenty of ammo & some of that isn't expensive self defense hollow point. I've settled on Gold Dot 165 gr & Federal Tactical HST 180 gr. For range fire I use the Federal American Eagle FMJ 165 gr, about $17 for a box of 50. Beats the $30+ a box for SD stuff.

    Exo-
    The tool isn't even necessary. About the only use it has besides being part of the buttplate is to push the sear stop down when field stripping but if the gun is cleared (stupidity if it's not) all you have to do is squeeze the trigger & then pull the slide off. One of my gun contacts had to replace his & Smith sent him a new one with no charge but he said that he got an extra for about $5 & hasn't had a need to use it since.

    Chief -
    I was an NRA member for years a while back & never received a camo bag, lol.

    Range reports forthcoming after I get the gun. I've found that my Sigma shoots everything I have equally well & it's very accurate. If my neighbor didn't want it I'd be content on keeping it.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #6
    Senior Member StayFrosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fort Bragg
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    Now for the long wait, hopefully not too long. I thought the wait for the CCL would be long but it was only 8 days including the day I mailed the application.

    The rebate coupon was denied. I emailed S&W & although they have an outside company that handles rebates they went directly to them & they said they could honor no rebates without a serial number for the gun. I received a reply from Smith the very next day so the customer service seems to be good. I'm hoping that an M&P 40C with my name on it will be on the way to the gun store right away because of my inquiry, lol. If I get it fast it seems that I'll be able to use the outdoor range because our weather has been dry & mostly warm. My son-in-law has a neighbor who said we could use his range any time we want to. It's an hour drive but still a lot cheaper than using an indoor range. I'm stockpiling plenty of ammo & some of that isn't expensive self defense hollow point. I've settled on Gold Dot 165 gr & Federal Tactical HST 180 gr. For range fire I use the Federal American Eagle FMJ 165 gr, about $17 for a box of 50. Beats the $30+ a box for SD stuff.

    Exo-
    The tool isn't even necessary. About the only use it has besides being part of the buttplate is to push the sear stop down when field stripping but if the gun is cleared (stupidity if it's not) all you have to do is squeeze the trigger & then pull the slide off. One of my gun contacts had to replace his & Smith sent him a new one with no charge but he said that he got an extra for about $5 & hasn't had a need to use it since.

    Chief -
    I was an NRA member for years a while back & never received a camo bag, lol.

    Range reports forthcoming after I get the gun. I've found that my Sigma shoots everything I have equally well & it's very accurate. If my neighbor didn't want it I'd be content on keeping it.
    So basically the tool was just to get around having to pull the trigger to get the pistol to break down? (a la Glock...)

    NRA gives a 1-year membership free for military. Not sure if it covers retirees, but worth asking...

  • #7
    Short Timer CWO Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Regular Army
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post
    So basically the tool was just to get around having to pull the trigger to get the pistol to break down? (a la Glock...)

    NRA gives a 1-year membership free for military. Not sure if it covers retirees, but worth asking...
    Holy crap. I just paid 30 bucks for the year so I can get a nice bag and did not know about this. I called up the rep and he directed me at this link

    http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/files

    or go to www.nra.org and click go directly to site before the main page shows up and click support the troops. There you get your free membership. So I pay for this year but next year will be free for me. Thanks Frosty.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran (OIF V & OEF X & XIII)
    101st Airborne Division & 4th Infantry Division combat vet
    Serving overseas

  • #8
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,310

    Default

    I went to the link that you provided, Chief. It stipulates Active Duty Military. I put in a question about retirees on their "Contact Us" form. Since it was already answered by stating active only I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #9
    Short Timer CWO Sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Regular Army
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    I went to the link that you provided, Chief. It stipulates Active Duty Military. I put in a question about retirees on their "Contact Us" form. Since it was already answered by stating active only I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
    Top,

    You have that awesome Blue ID card that I am striving for. That card carries weight too lol.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran (OIF V & OEF X & XIII)
    101st Airborne Division & 4th Infantry Division combat vet
    Serving overseas

  • #10
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWO Sharkey View Post
    Top,

    You have that awesome Blue ID card that I am striving for. That card carries weight too lol.
    I've found that my blue ID card & $1.50 will buy me a cup of coffee, lol. Of course I got the Police/Military price on my handgun. Later I found out that my expired Armed Security License would have done the same thing, lol.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3
    1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Pistol
      By ThatOne in forum Combat Arms
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts