+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Prior Service Question...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Question Prior Service Question...

    I've been a Marine for almost 6 (Active) years and I am looking to enlist in the Army. The Recruiter tells me that basically I just go up to MEPS and I HAVE to pick a job that they have available. Needless to say, I am not afraid of anything they can possibly have but I need to think about my family, that's why we're making this change. Can I say "No Thank You" and walk away from MEPS and try later in the year? The recruiter tells me that I cannot but can I really trust him? Thank you in advance for all the replies!

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Just Now
    Posts
    42

  • #2
    Senior Member daddytattooed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ft. sam houston, tx
    Posts
    692

    Default

    I picked my MOS and had it reserved before i even went to meps. not sure but you should have the same luxury unless its different for prior service. and if they dont have what you want you CAN leave but dont be too picky because if you go up there and back out your just wasting everyones time.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out and screaming" Hooah - "What a Ride!" - Mavis Leyrer

  • #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daddytattooed View Post
    I picked my MOS and had it reserved before i even went to meps. not sure but you should have the same luxury unless its different for prior service. and if they dont have what you want you CAN leave but dont be too picky because if you go up there and back out your just wasting everyones time.
    I have been told that it is different for Prior Service. Thanks!

  • #4
    Moderator MPclk2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    3,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnoth View Post
    I've been a Marine for almost 6 (Active) years and I am looking to enlist in the Army. The Recruiter tells me that basically I just go up to MEPS and I HAVE to pick a job that they have available. Needless to say, I am not afraid of anything they can possibly have but I need to think about my family, that's why we're making this change. Can I say "No Thank You" and walk away from MEPS and try later in the year? The recruiter tells me that I cannot but can I really trust him? Thank you in advance for all the replies!
    You "can" and you "cant" just walk away from MEPS and come back later as a Prior Service, you can b/c you are free to do whatever you want, free country and all...you "cant" b/c if you do, apparently it tracks how many times you go to MEPS and walk away from there without enlisting, today you might get 5 jobs to pick from, 6 months later, you might have to go down one paygrade to pick any jobs, and another 6 months and prior service will be closed for you all together...if you want to join, join, dont be picky, not as Prior Service...

  • #5
    Moderator Master Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    GE
    Posts
    646

    Default

    MPclk & daddy said it nicely. If you can't make up your mind and want to play slot machine until 3 show up it bis better to not waste the MEPS time because they will get wise to you. If you want to join the Army, just do it and live with your decision.

  • #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPclk2006 View Post
    You "can" and you "cant" just walk away from MEPS and come back later as a Prior Service, you can b/c you are free to do whatever you want, free country and all...you "cant" b/c if you do, apparently it tracks how many times you go to MEPS and walk away from there without enlisting, today you might get 5 jobs to pick from, 6 months later, you might have to go down one paygrade to pick any jobs, and another 6 months and prior service will be closed for you all together...if you want to join, join, dont be picky, not as Prior Service...
    Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it! However I disagree, I think prior service should probably have better options than new recruits as long as they commit for the same time as a new join. I can live with my decisions, that's not the problem; my family also have to live my decisions. A bit more options would suffice! Thanks again all!

  • #7
    Senior Member daddytattooed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ft. sam houston, tx
    Posts
    692

    Default

    disagree? i dont think there is a choice now that i have looked at things. you may have more important roles available but i'm sure you oprtions are less because the way the army figures is you've been trained and you've been around so you SHOULD know what you want and the army isnt gonna take someone they've been trainning for 4 years and let them get an MOS for peeling taters until retirement when they could put them back in infantry to take advantage of their prior experience.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out and screaming" Hooah - "What a Ride!" - Mavis Leyrer

  • #8
    Moderator MPclk2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    3,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnoth View Post
    Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it! However I disagree, I think prior service should probably have better options than new recruits as long as they commit for the same time as a new join. I can live with my decisions, that's not the problem; my family also have to live my decisions. A bit more options would suffice! Thanks again all!
    Well we can play the agree and disagree game just like other PS tried to do multiple times, b/c they think they should get better options for being PS...guess what? The Army sees it as "you quit on us once (in your case Marines) whats to say you wont quit on us again?"....and the fact that you fall under accession command not Recruiting command which means you dont count as a new enlistment, you count as a reenlistment, just like if I reenlisted to stay longer...so if reenlistment in the Army is high, slots for PS are few...

  • #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPclk2006 View Post
    Well we can play the agree and disagree game just like other PS tried to do multiple times, b/c they think they should get better options for being PS...guess what? The Army sees it as "you quit on us once (in your case Marines) whats to say you wont quit on us again?"....and the fact that you fall under accession command not Recruiting command which means you dont count as a new enlistment, you count as a reenlistment, just like if I reenlisted to stay longer...so if reenlistment in the Army is high, slots for PS are few...
    Well... thanks for the love MP! You must be Active Service. I do sincerely hope the Armed Forces don't think about PS are quitters, they could be missing out on the best soldiers out there. I'm going up to MEPS sometimes in the next two weeks, I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the responses!

  • #10
    Moderator MPclk2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    3,764

    Default

    Good luck man, I am not here to make you feel good or suger coat things for you, I am telling straight up how it works. Good luck to you.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2
    1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Prior Service 11B/18X contracts?
      By DavisL11B in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
    2. Prior Service Options
      By SGT_USAR in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
    3. Prior Service Army WTC
      By Sand Warrior in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM
    4. Hello! Prior service needs assist
      By jhize in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM
    5. Prior service questions
      By duquettebk in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts