From Reserves to Active Duty
AS many of you know already I have just succesfully transfered from the Reserves to active Duty. I am offering my knowledge to all who want to know. I am currently in FT Jackson with about 40 other National Gaurdsmen and Reservest all of which are transferring. So now is the time to ask while I have their brains to pick as well.
The process is fairly simple and I will give a quick and Brief outline on how to go about it.
1) Finish all the training in your Initial Contract, BCT, AIT, OSUT, ASI's.
2) Report Back to your Unit.
3) Let your first line know of your intentions. ( Makes it easier when you show up with paperwork)
4) Talk to an Active Duty Recruiter.
- Sidenote: As You are now classified as Prior Service you are not a top priority for the army or your recruiter so you need to find a recruiter who wants to do your packet.
5) Obtain a DD form 368 and DD 4187. One of these forms (368) is the request for a conditional Release. The 4187 is a general form used in the army for anything that changes in this case it will be a change to active duty.
6) Make sure you and your recruiter Fill out and Sign these papers together.
7) MAKE COPIES. Anyone in the military will tell you Copies are your friend.
8) Report to your unit and using your COC to speak to your commander. He is the first one that needs to sign your papers with an appoval for your release. Remember they do not have to release you.
9) At this point the ball is almost out of your court. Being persistant in calling your UA Unit Advocate?? To make sure your packet is being pushed up the chain. In the reserves it needs to be approved by the first 1 Star General (BG) in your command. Or the acting Regional Commander.
10) Continue to go to drill be a good soldier and start doing correspondence courses. As it will only help you in the future.
This is all I have for now Please correct me if i cited somthing incorrectly as I am trying to do the best I can from my experiences. I can give more info on what happens afters its approved if anyone is interested. let me know
Last edited by USDoc; 05-10-2010 at 08:27 PM.
05-10-2010 07:41 PM