View Poll Results: Ranger or Green Beret

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11b Option 40 Contract

    5 100.00%
  • 18x Special Ops Canidate

    0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: ****11b option 40 (ranger School) Or 18x Spec Ops*****

  1. #1

    Default ****11b option 40 (ranger School) Or 18x Spec Ops*****

    Hello everyone,

    My name is Alan, I am currently in the process of Enlisting in the Army and I could use some help from experienced personal. I recenlty took the ASVAB and scored a 78 with 119 GT score and 113 CO score. For the last 12 months ive been working extremly hard to get in the best possible shape and i am very confident I can reach my goal to become either Ranger or Green Beret.
    To me personaly I am more attracted to the 75th Ranger regiment than Special Forces ofr somre od reason but my recruiter is telling that he could get me 18x contract all day long but nor option 40. MY question is if i should take that 18x or just be really stubborn on getting the option 40? I also know that even if i got the option 40 i still would not be part of the 75th . But does anyone know how hard it would be getting in the 75th after having a Ranger Tab?
    Tell me what you think of both bieng a Ranger or bieng a Green Beret, what route should I take as a new recruite.
    Last edited by ALAN_LIVEACES; 07-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Just Now
    Posts
    42

  • #2
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,309

    Default

    Personally I think you'll have a better chance of making it through RASP than SFAS. Special Forces is known to value the seasoned Soldier although they have the 18X contract for those age 20 & over & ate new to the Army.

    Many Rangers from the 75th go into Special Forces & their completion rate at SFAS ( & the rest of the training) are better than the veteran non-Ranger Soldier & certainly better than the newbie Soldier with nothing more than BCT/AIT/OSUT & Airborne School. There is a lot of cross-breeding between all of the elements of the Special Operations Command. Many of those who wear the Green Beret have at least gone to Ranger School if not having swerved in the 75th.

    I'll have to say my choice is Option 40. BUT - if there are no Option 40 contracts available but there are 18Xs that's a no-brainer. Going to Infantry OSUT & Airrborne School (11X Option 4 contract) might get you a chance of volunteering for RASP. There are times (rare) where RASP Instructors go to the various AITs, OSUTs or Airborne School looking for bodies to fill their class. They will ask for the Drill Sgt's recommendation of the very best recruits.

    A word of caution - if you bust out of RASP or SFAS you probably won't go to an Airborne unit despite being Airborne qualified.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #3
    The Chopping Block papachop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fort Sill, OK
    Posts
    2,211

    Default

    A close friend of mine and an acquaintance just finished the SF training pipeline as 18X recruits, are now 18Bs (Weapons Sergeants). It is certainly possible to complete the training as an 18X if you are:

    A. Dedicated and motivated
    B. Extremely physically fit (I'm talking functional fitness here ala Crossfit, not just a bulked up beach body)
    C. A team player
    D. At least moderately intelligent and capable of problem solving

    Not necessarily in that order. Coincidentally, those traits will all serve you extremely well in the Army in general.
    1LT Papa Chop
    Executive Officer (25A)

    Quote Originally Posted by GEN Dwight D. Eisenhower
    “The one quality that can be developed by studious reflection and practice is the leadership of men.”

  • #4

    Default

    Thanks Guys the info really helps!
    I dont want to seem cocky or anything but I do believe I have what it takes to succeed in both these courses, I understand it will take an outstanding amount of determination to make it a reality. Im going to try for the Option 40 but I guess il keep my options open becuase ive done some reaserch and it seems a slot in RASP is like hitting the lottery.

    as far the 18x canidate, you said most recruites that pass SFAS will be 18b Weapons Sergeants, is it possible to go in as Engineer Sergeant or is that only for like a Sapper for example that went SF?

  • #5
    The Chopping Block papachop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fort Sill, OK
    Posts
    2,211

    Default

    No, I didn't say that. I said my two friends are. 18X recruits receive their MOS during the course, and it could be any of the 18 series other than 18A (Commissioned Officer), 180A (Warrant Officer), and 18Z (SNCO).
    1LT Papa Chop
    Executive Officer (25A)

    Quote Originally Posted by GEN Dwight D. Eisenhower
    “The one quality that can be developed by studious reflection and practice is the leadership of men.”

  • #6
    Moderator MSG Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    5,309

    Default

    SF MOSs are chosen by SF. I imagine if you have special skills related to one of the 18-series MOSs it might help but you would have no say in the matter. All start as Infantry, a requirement to be an SF Trooper. Same goes for the foreign language you'd have to learn. MOS & language depend on the needs of the Special Forces.
    Proud Dad of a US Army Airborne Ranger SFC
    Retired US Army 1SG/MSG, Airborne Infantry, G-3, Instructor
    Former USN - Submarines, USS Chopper (SS 342) & Navy Diver, UDT 21
    I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

  • #7
    Moderator MPclk2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    3,764

    Default

    YOu keep saying "Option 40" but you also said "11B Option 40"...so which one is it, you just want Option 40, with whatever MOS, or 11X Option 40, the latter is harder to get for obvious reasons, you could get offered 92G Option 40 today, but have to wait 3 months to see 11X Option 40...
    It is difficult to be a good noncommissioned officer. If it had been easy,
    they would have given it to the officer corps.- SMA William A. Connelly

    "If someone that outranks you tells you to go jump in a lake, I want you to come talk to me...but you better be wet!"

  • #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MPclk2006 View Post
    YOu keep saying "Option 40" but you also said "11B Option 40"...so which one is it, you just want Option 40, with whatever MOS, or 11X Option 40, the latter is harder to get for obvious reasons, you could get offered 92G Option 40 today, but have to wait 3 months to see 11X Option 40...
    Well i said 11b w/ option 40 thats what the tittle of the post says, I know you can get option 40 with dozens of MOS's but i specified 11b

  • #9
    The Chopping Block papachop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fort Sill, OK
    Posts
    2,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
    SF MOSs are chosen by SF. I imagine if you have special skills related to one of the 18-series MOSs it might help but you would have no say in the matter. All start as Infantry, a requirement to be an SF Trooper. Same goes for the foreign language you'd have to learn. MOS & language depend on the needs of the Special Forces.
    Yup. One of my buddies got 18B\Arabic, the other got 18B\French.
    1LT Papa Chop
    Executive Officer (25A)

    Quote Originally Posted by GEN Dwight D. Eisenhower
    “The one quality that can be developed by studious reflection and practice is the leadership of men.”

  • #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALAN_LIVEACES View Post
    Hello everyone,

    My name is Alan, I am currently in the process of Enlisting in the Army and I could use some help from experienced personal. I recenlty took the ASVAB and scored a 78 with 119 GT score and 113 CO score. For the last 12 months ive been working extremly hard to get in the best possible shape and i am very confident I can reach my goal to become either Ranger or Green Beret.
    To me personaly I am more attracted to the 75th Ranger regiment than Special Forces ofr somre od reason but my recruiter is telling that he could get me 18x contract all day long but nor option 40. MY question is if i should take that 18x or just be really stubborn on getting the option 40? I also know that even if i got the option 40 i still would not be part of the 75th . But does anyone know how hard it would be getting in the 75th after having a Ranger Tab?
    Tell me what you think of both bieng a Ranger or bieng a Green Beret, what route should I take as a new recruite.
    If you got the option 40, you'd attend RASP, not Ranger school. There's a difference.

    RASP = Ranger Scroll
    Ranger School = Ranger Tab
    Last edited by Ihavecoolhats; 07-11-2012 at 04:25 PM.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3
    1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Ranger School / Airborne School ?
      By BIGRREDD in forum General Army Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 09-22-2011, 04:22 AM
    2. Airmen in Ranger school?
      By foghorn85 in forum General Army Discussion
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
    3. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
    4. Prior Service 11B/18X contracts?
      By DavisL11B in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
    5. Ranger School?
      By PigginOut in forum Joining the Army
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts